Tuesday, October 7, 2008

A Letter to the Father of Opus

Hi Berkeley (or Mr. Breathed if you prefer),

I will be as brief as possible -- I just wanted to share with you that Bloom County and Opus have meant a great deal to me over the years. It was something my parents and I shared starting when I was a teenager. My mother still has the "Opus Reading News on a Toilet" I sketched when I was about 15. I made a life-size Penguin-Crossing sign for my father around the same time, and though hanging in my garage now, it hung in his for a long time... When he died prematurely and moved on to the place where even Penguins succeed in flight, along with many pictures of his life, Opus had a place on the displays at his memorial service. I now have "Beloved Father" tattooed on my leg, along with Opus perched upon the words.

I've carried on the tradition and shared Opus with my own, now teenage daughter, who just last year made an Opus mask for a school art project.

Your work over the years has been both funny and inspiring. I look forward to seeing more from you as the years go by, but Opus will always hold a very special place in my heart.

Thank you for sharing your creativity with all of us...

Signed,
A long-time fan... truly.


Link: Berkeley Breathed Says Goodbye to Opus
“With the crisis in Wall Street and Washington, I’m suspending my comic strip to assist the nation. The best way I can help is to leave politics permanently and write funny stories for America’s kids. I call on John McCain to join me.”
 

No comments: